Upper Heyford Reunion Planning Report
San Diego 2021
The committee has made good progress on planning the reunion. There was a lot of research done on the right time of year, hotel locations and activities. Below is what we are currently planning. We decided to get this info out now so that you could start to make any needed long-range plans. Although we have hotels selected and events preliminarily planned, we are still more than 2 years away and so it is too early to start making hotel reservations or signing up for activities. We anticipate we will start that work about 1 year prior to the reunion. So more to come on those details. In the meantime, this plan should give everyone a good idea of how the reunion will unfold and allow the enthusiasm to build. San Diego is a fun place and we are sure everyone who comes will have a great time with fellow their Hadites and enjoy beautiful San Diego.
Overall approach: As in Boston this reunion will be a la carte. The reunion committee has made hotel arrangements and we are planning two activities one on Friday night and one on Saturday. The rest may be organized by individuals as they like. Ideas are listed below. To avoid having to make large financial commitments (which would be personal by the committee), the hotels, and both events will start with minimal attendance commitments to the facilities, with the option to expand as our group grows. However, there will be no guarantees that we will be able to expand the number of people who can attend the various events. Thus, once we start taking signups for both events, we will require cash in advance, for each event you would like to attend, and the earlier you commit the greater chance we will be able to expand our number to accommodate as many Hadites as possible. The Hotels reservations must be made by each individual. Just mention Upper Heyford Reunion when you call.
Thursday 9/16/2021: Early Bird Arrival
Friday 9/17/2021: No Host Happy Hour, Place and Specifics to be finalized, but most likely at the Wyndham Hotel on their outside Patio. Time 5-7PM
Saturday 9/18/2021: Dinner Cruise on San Diego Bay, Hornblower. Details to follow, but cost will be $120-$140/person
Sunday 9/19/2021: Hotel Check out and Departure
Activities for Thursday Evening, Friday and Saturday days are open to individuals to plan. See possible activities below.
We have signed a contract with two hotels that are next door to each other on the Embarcadero. Each hotel has given us a courtesy hold of 10 rooms at the price quoted, as these rooms are booked the hotel will work with us to expand the room count, but the original price is not guaranteed. Hotels are not available for booking until one year in advance. However, the sooner people book after that date then the better chance we have of getting more rooms at the original contract rate.
Primary Reunion Hotel: Wyndham San Diego Bayside: Single/Double Rate $189.00, Triple $209.00, Quad $229.00
Second Hotel Springhill Suites by Marriott: Single/Double Rate $199.00
NOTE: These rates do not include fees, taxes and parking. Taxes and Fees will be an additional 22% per night and parking is $32-$45/night depending on self-parking or valet. However, there is no real need for a car, public transportation, Uber, or simply walking will get you just about everywhere very easily. The airport is very close to the hotels. Either a short taxi/Uber ride. I believe the Wyndham has an airport shuttle and a shuttle that runs a circuit around SD sites for its guests.
ADDITIONAL ACTIVITY IDEAS
1. Thursday Early Bird Gathering: We will leave this totally up to individuals to arrange. Possible activities include:
a. Brewery Tours: SD is the home of craft beer. Some tour companies are:
1. Brewery Tours of San Diego 619 961 7999
2. San Diego Brewery Tours 619 869 5188
3. All In Limo & Part Bus 858 336 1894
4. Top Dog Limo Bus 858 581 3644
c. Drinks and Dinner in Little Italy
d. Drinks and Dinner in Old Town
e. Dancing in any number of San Diego Clubs
f. There are many other things to do. We can certainly help organize and or make suggestions as we get closer to the dates
THURSDAY/FRIDAY/SATURDAY Day Time activities: Again, we think we should leave this to individuals to organize either in small or larger groups. Possible Activities:
1. Temecula Wine Tasting tour: About 45-60 miles north of San Diego. 40+ wineries to choose from. ACTION Rusty Fleming.
2. San Diego Balboa Park: The World-Famous Zoo, Air and Space Museum etc etc. Accessible by trolley
4. Walk, bike ride, bar crawl around Coronado. Take the passenger ferry from the Broadway Pier to the Coronado Landing. Lots of shops, bars, and the Hotel del Coronado to visit.
5. Any of many amazing beaches. Coronado, Ocean Beach, La Jolla, Pacific Beach.
6. Rent bikes and explore San Diego and or Coronado. Ride the 26 mile bay bike path.
7. Sea World
9. Multiple day time harbor cruises and sailing opportunities, including whale watching, site seeing, seal watching, brunch and champagne cruises. Go to www.getyourguide.com or just google San Diego Harbor Cruises.